07 December 2007

Movies - November 2007

I sold my 37" LCD telly. Thirtyseven is not a popular size anymore. Especially for someone who doesn't watch television at all. The plan is to buy a new one after holiday season, though haven't decided yet if it means this holiday season or maybe the following one. Or the one after.

1. Kráska v nesnázích (2006) (likeable)
2. Na krásnom modrom Dunaji (1997) (unbelievably Slovak!)
3. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (2007) (losing the grip)
4. Starship Troopers (1997) (predictable, yet enjoyable to an extent)
5. Skřítek (2005) (a movie I sadly missed in 2005, funny and smart)
6. The Jacket (2005) (nothing extraordinary)
7. Destricted (2006) (had its moments)
8. Mezi námi zloději (1963) (must have been outrageous at the time)
9. Death Proof (2007) (if this was a flop, I'd like to see more flops like this)
10. Ghost Dog: The Way Of A Samurai (1999) (I remember the poster I saw in winter Bratislava in 1999, and wonder/wonder!/wonder!!! why didn't I go see it?; stunning!)
11. Eastern Promises (2007) (one of top ten 2007 movies, Viggo is the man)
12. French Connection II (1975) (Gene Hackman's unforgettable heroin cold turkey in Marseilles)

I had to give it a bit of a thought to choose the movie of the month. While Eastern Promises may be one of the better ones released this year and Death Proof is also a great competitor, Jim Jarmusch made a classic in 1999; Ghost Dog is a hell of a movie and Forest Whitaker is touchingly convincing; I consider the hitman role his definite, standing Amin in The Last King Of Scotland at number two and Charlie Parker in Bird at number three. Hail to both Jim & Forest!

No comments: